The maze of painting by Chrisanthy Petra by ELEFTHERIA VONAPARTI
- Chrisanthy, tell us a few words about you and what was or what is impelling you to paint?
From young age I admired painters but I didn’t dare even to think that I want to become one. The middle class environment I grew up did not allow such dreams. So I studied mathematics and worked in private education first and then in the banking sector. What push me to paint is this admiration and my need to become like them and I admire that.
- What are your influences and what is the subject from which you draw joy when you create?
I like to paint people. So far they are my sole theme.
- Who is the artist you admire and what’s your favorite (not yours) painting? 4. What is art for you?
Venus of Botticelli. I have a passion for this image. Everyone who knows me just a little knows it well…. It always accompanies me everywhere and at every moment. There are many artists I admire … Botticelli, Fragonard, Sargent, el Greco, Velazquez, Turner and Tetsis, Schiele, Morandi, Tuymans, Thiebaud and many others!
- What is art for you?
Art for me is a maze I always wanted so much to get in and get lost…
- What is the piece of art among the ones you’ve created yourself, that you have a predilection for?
Each time I have a preference in the latter I make… until I make another one. I pass through this phase now! I’m in my beginning… It will get past I guess…
- How do you define beautiful or ugly in art?
As my teacher says (Panos Charalambous) “Τhe purpose is to charm”… I agree! Beautiful is this what fascinates. Ugly? Rather the supposedly. Τhat tries to tell a lot with zero effort.
- Finally Chrisanthy, what is your dream, your goal, what would you like to accomplish or do in the future?
My goal is being a painter.
Chrisanthy Petra was born in Piraeus and studied at the Fine Arts School of Athens. Panos Charalambous was her professor. Her painting focuses on children and sketches of adult figures. In her works she uses watercolors, oil and coal. You can see more of her works on her site.